When it comes to Home pest control Houston has a very challenging set of circumstances that make it a perfect region for pests of all varieties. With Memorial Day behind us, the unofficial start of summer is here and it is also the time of year that pests such as mosquitos, ants and those pesky love bugs invade the Gulf region. With our warm, humid climate and our many bayous; Houston is paradise for mosquitos and stinging bugs that torment Houstonians of all ages. There is, however, a few things you can do to prevent these bugs from putting a damper on your summer activities. Our Home Pest Control Houston pros share some basic tips to battle the bug invasion this summer.
Don’t Create A Favorable Environment For Pests
With the recent storms and standing water, Houston will see an above average number of homes with overgrown lawns and soaked foundations. We strongly suggest keeping bushes and tree limbs closely trimmed and tidy to prevent easy access to your home and to eliminate excess moisture. There are many things you can do and they are simple, common sense ideas.
- Don’t go overboard with mulch and certain plants near the perimeter of your home as these can create a welcoming spot for pests. Things like mulch and ground cover can be counter productive if you overdo it.
- Keep your foundation tight. Have any openings sealed up and patch up tears in window screens and check doors for seals that need caulking. All of these preventative measures will create a physical barrier around your home and make it harder for pests to get inside.
- For indoor and outdoor cooking make sure to keep food covered well with foil or plastic wrap prior to cooking and after as well.
- Do not leave sugary snacks, crumbs or soda cans out on the counter. If you throw away a soda, rinse out the can to rid of any sugar which is insect bait.
Protect Yourself From Insects Outdoors
While finding pest control professionals that you can trust can be a daunting task, protecting yourself outdoors really isn’t. By taking a few extra steps before you venture out for the day you can prevent bites and other problems that insects cause.
- Always make sure to use some type of insect repellant that contains DEET, or picaridin or other natural ingredients. Repellants without one of these components are useless, so always spend a little extra to get quality repellants.
- Avoid shorts, short sleeve shirts, and sandals when outdoors. While this can be inconvenient it will protect you from getting bites all over. Light-colored clothing helps you to spot ticks and other insects while in wooded areas.
Get Home Pest Control Houston Residents Can Trust
When it comes down to it, the easiest way to protect your home from pests that fly, sting and bite is to call in the professionals at Champions Pest Control. With decades of experience, we can execute a plan that will deliver real, measurable results and a lot fewer pest problems! Contact us today for a consultation.