(281) 940-7955
Mon - Fri: 8am-5pm

Is The Service Safe For People And Pets?

A: Yes, our Houston pest control service is very safe for people and pets. All our products used in our Houston pest control treatments are EPA registered. They’re designed and labeled for use around and in commercial and residential buildings.

Pesticides and insecticides are quite effective in eradicating pests from around your yard and inside your home. However, most pesticides and insecticides available to consumers do contain chemicals that can be harmful to humans and pets. That being said, when the right pesticides are used carefully—they are completely safe. It is no different than using household cleaners or taking medicine. When used properly they have great benefits but when used improperly—they’re quite dangerous.

The potential danger in pesticides and insecticides are why it is so important to leave your pest problems to Houston pest control experts.


Because when pesticides are handled by someone not well-versed in the safe handling of powerful chemicals—it poses a hazard. If you have children you should know that the wrong pesticides are especially dangerous to infants, and young children because their kidneys are still underdeveloped. They can’t filter toxins from pesticides out of their body should they be exposed. Furthermore, even pregnant women or mothers who breastfeed can pass those toxins through to their babies.

Houston pest control professionals are legally allowed to apply and work with many different pesticides. That privilege comes with extensive training and proficiency exams to obtain permits and become certified. It’s much more than a piece of paper—it’s proof that the pest control tech uses safe products and practices. They are trained in which pesticides to use in sensitive areas or where children and pets might be exposed. However, there are several other reasons why you should hire professionals:

  • They are knowledgeable of all varieties of pests, the habitats that they like, and how to eradicate them from the area safely
  • Professional techs can create a customized treatment and management plan just for your home
  • Pest control companies know how to handle all pesticides and what to look out for when dealing with special needs
  • Your technician can give you tips to help avoid/prevent pest infestations of all kinds

In addition to the incredible amount of institutional knowledge about Houston pest control—you also get peace of mind. Your family is also protected from the many pitfalls that can come from improper consumer use of pesticides. You see the pesticides themselves aren’t inherently dangerous, it’s the accidental mishandling that leads to problems.

Some Pesticides Are More Harmful Than Others

Houston pest control pros have extensive knowledge of the many pesticides and their effectiveness. However, they also know of their possible dangers when mixed with other substances or around children and pets. There’s information that most homeowners aren’t aware of when picking up pesticides at a place like Lowes.

In fact, when you visit home improvement stores, the pesticide aisle is filled with dozens of products and varieties. How do you know which one is right for your situation? There are several kinds of pesticides. There are insecticides for killing mosquitoes, roaches, fleas, and other bugs. There’s also rodenticides to kill mice, rats, and other rodents. There are even bactericides for bacteria, fungicides for fungus control, and herbicides for weeds. All of these products are found in relative proximity to each other. It can be very easy to buy the wrong products, or more unfortunate—mixing the wrong products!

It’s no surprise then that not all pesticides are alike; some are more harmful than others depending on their concentration. Even if you plan on using pesticides yourself, make sure you carefully read the cautionary messages. All pesticides have bold signals on the label that indicate toxicity level:

  • CAUTION!—Low Toxicity
  • WARNING!—Medium Toxicity
  • DANGER!— High Toxicity

If possible, you always want to use the least toxic options available if they will do the job sufficiently. You also want to be careful about exposure to these chemicals.


Exposure to the chemicals in Houston pest control products can come through contact with skin, inhalation, or ingestion. For example, when applying pesticides around your yard, a gust of wind could create blowback. That mist of pesticide can get in your eyes or on your mouth and nose and be inhaled.

Pesticide residue can also transfer from clothes, lawn equipment, and any encounters to your skin. They can even be ingested if you forget to wash your hands and then eat. Another common issue is accidental ingestion by children or pets.

Possible Side Effects Of Exposure

The side effects of pesticide exposure can vary from mild to moderate depending on how toxic the chemicals are. Some effects are immediate, and others may present themselves in a matter of hours or days. Some mild symptoms include:

  • Sweating
  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Thirst
  • Skin or eye irritations

Moderate symptoms can include:

  • Abdominal cramps
  • Diarrhea
  • Muscle fatigue
  • Trouble sleeping

In the most severe cases, it can lead to symptoms such as:

  • High fever
  • Seizures
  • Paralysis
  • Respiratory issues
  • Elevated heart rate

Studies have also shown that when consumers improperly handle pesticides and have long-term exposure—it can lead to more serious conditions. Some of these documented cases include cancer, birth defects, fetal death, and leukemia.

While the risks that come with some pesticides can be very daunting and might make you uneasy, there’s good news. When used by properly trained experts with experience—they are completely safe for your home.

Action To Take If You Are Exposed To Pesticides

Even when you take all necessary steps to avoid exposure—accidents can happen. You, your pets, or your loved ones can come into contact with dangerous pesticides. This is all the more reason to hire professionals to handle your Houston pest control issues.

However, in the event you are exposed it’s important to determine how you, your pets, or loved ones were exposed.

  • When skin comes in contact with pesticides, wash thoroughly with soap and water and remove any clothing that was exposed.
  • If it gets in your eyes, wash out the affected eye with water or eyewash avail at most Walgreens.
  • If the pesticide was inhaled get as much fresh air as possible
  • For ingestion, always keep a bottle of Ipecac on hand. It’s a syrup that’s used to induce vomiting. That is essential to mitigate the risk of poisoning.

If you notice any adverse reactions it’s always better to stay on the safe side and call 911 to get medical attention.


After knowing the risk of using pesticides without the proper experience and training you’re probably leaning towards hiring pros. But, even with professional pest control companies, you need to do your research to make sure they are running a safe operation.

Just because you’re hiring “professionals” it doesn’t guarantee they are 100% safe. This is where your due diligence will come in handy. There are several factors to consider when hiring the right pest control company. It of course begins with checking their credentials and reviews online. Beyond that, here are a few tips to ensure you get effective pest control services that are also safe:

  • Talk to the pest control technician about what pesticide they will be using so you can do your research ahead of time. Let them know about any concerns you may have about any possible risks to children, pets, pregnancy, etc. This will also help them find alternative methods or products if necessary
  • Cover everything that you don’t want to be exposed such as toys, food, utensils, and other items
  • If necessary, stay away from the treated area for as long as the technician advises
  • When pesticide is being applied to the yard or perimeter of the house close all windows
  • For products applied indoors, open the windows and air out the house when you return home. Wash and clean linens and anything else that was exposed


If you want to avoid the uncertainty of knowing if your pest control provider is using safe products or not—contact us.

All of our products are thoroughly vetted for safety and universal compatibility with all types of health concerns. Our technicians receive constant training on new products—all of which are EPA certified safe. We have families too, and we wouldn’t use anything on your home that we wouldn’t use on ours.

Schedule your free consultation today!

Recent Posts

Contact Us

    Get Connected

    Schedule Your Service Today!

    Fill out the form below and we will be with you shortly!

      Call Now